Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How to Bake a Sheet Cake Evenly. . Without Sinking!

I made an awesome discovery over the summer. I was asked a couple months ago to make a half-sheet cake for a church event. Having never made that large of a sheet cake before, I thought to myself, "Oh crap. Every other sheet cake I make sinks in the middle!" But I said, "yes" anyway.

So I took a trip to Michaels and looked around for a metal device I saw on the internet which was supposed to keep cakes from flopping. I couldn't find the device, so I asked the lady at the checkout if she knew what to use. She brought me right to what I needed.

She said that she only uses this tool and her cakes come out perfect everytime. She showed me Magi-Cake Strips.

Step One: Fully submerge baking strips in cold water and let sit for 10 minutes.
 
 
Step Two: Take out of water, scrape off excess water with fingers . . don't wring out, though. Place belts around exterior of pan and pin together.
 
 
 
Step Three: Bake cake, with baking strips secured to outside of pan, according to pan size and recipe. The Wilton Baking Chart is great for determining amounts, servings and baking times for various sized pans:  http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm. The cakes have come out perfect everytime!




Thank you lady at Michaels!

No comments: